UPDATE: Alleged rapist’s trial trapiso begin in September

The man (37) facing charges of human trafficking and kidnapping after allegedly turning a girl (12) into a sex slave will begin his pre-trial in September. Photo: Supplied

A Nigerian man accused of turning a young girl into a sex slave will begin his pre-trial in September.

The man briefly appeared in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Thursday, where it was ruled that he would remain in custody until his trial began on 13 September.

The case has since gained support from the DA Women’s Network (Dawn), ANCWL and other organisations.

The 37-year-old is facing charges of human trafficking, kidnapping and rape, and has been in police custody since his bail was denied in December last year.

Also read: ‘Rapist’ (23) arrested in Sunnyside

Sunnyside police spokesperson Captain Daniel Mavimbela said the 12-year-old girl allegedly kidnapped and sexually assaulted by the man was reported missing from her home in Mamelodi early September.

“According to reports, the grade 7-learner left home to meet friends at a recreational park just outside Silverton,” said Mavimbela.

An unknown girl is said to have led the minor to a flat in Sunnyside, east of Pretoria, where they spent the night.

Police were told that when the girl woke up the following morning, she saw the man seated on the bed.

There was no sign of the unknown girl.

“From that point on the 37-year-old man allegedly kept the young girl as his sex slave and raped her repeatedly,” he said.

“It is believed that during the same period, the man attempted to groom the victim into prostitution.”

The girl was apparently beaten for failing to attract motorists to engage in sexual relations with her, according to police.

Also read: Man arrested for ‘raping girlfriend’

She was granted her freedom after being spotted by passersby when she tried to escape from the flat.

“Though the man was not present at that time, he is said to have appeared on the scene,” said Mavimbela.

“He unwillingly agreed to release the girl shortly thereafter.”

The man was arrested shortly after the matter was reported to the local police.

The police’s family violence, child protection and sexual offence unit is investigating.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

find your
dream home

looking for an
affordable
apartment

List your Property

It's easy in only three
simple steps...

find professional
services in
your area

Locate a business
operating in
your area

List your Business

Want more customers? They're online right now, searching for businesses like yours. Place your ad now...

Latest News

COMMENTS

ptacenturion ptanorth pta_mootgetitAutodealer.co.za
Top
Next Story x
VIDEO: Radio Raps shares his ICU experience

Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

SUBSCRIBE
to our free NEWSLETTER
!
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.




SELECT your titles:

Centurion Rekord
Rekord East
Rekord Moot
Rekord North


Your details:


Your friends:

I didn't sign up for this
I'd like to see and read more... (Please indicate in comments section below)
I'm relocating (Please indicate where to)
Other