Bus strike suspended

Photo: Stock image
Photo: Stock image

Stephané Bothma

Tshwane bus commuters forced to find other transport because of a strike by drivers have been given the assurance that the illegal industrial action was over.

Although Tshwane Bus Service (TBS) employees were not participating in the industrial action, they had been intimidated to stop work by the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) A Re Yeng drivers and staff, Tshwane metro spokesman Lindela Mashigo said earlier.

“The TBS and A Re Yeng happen to share the same depot so while only BRT employees were on strike, they barred the city’s bus service from operating,” he said, adding that drivers and commuters had been threatened.

However, Tshwane mayoral spokesman Blessing Manale on Wednesday said that A Re Yeng buses resumed had full operations.

“The City and the drivers’ representatives have been meeting to look at ways to resolve the impasse. On Tuesday, the two parties met and agreed that bus operations will resume whilst negotiations on how to mitigate the dispute with employees continues,” Manale said.

The strike affected both the trunk and feeder routes, forcing commuters to seek alternative transportation.

The industrial action was a result of a recognition dispute between the bus drivers affiliated to the SA Transport and Allied worker Union (Satawu) and the SA Municipal Workers’ Union (Samwu) who then embarked on an unprotected strike.

“The City of Tshwane apologises to commuters for the inconvenience caused by the strike and would like to thank them for their continued support and understanding. The City would also like to assure commuters that buses will continue to operate as per schedule,” Manale said.

Also read: 

Tshwane leaves A Re Yeng bus drivers in a lurch

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram.

  • We have exciting news! We’re offering a free alert to help you always be in the loop. Send an email with the word ‘Subscribe’ to breakingnews@rekord.co.za to receive your free daily breaking news update.

 

Latest News

COMMENTS

ptacenturion ptanorth pta_mootgetitlooklocal.co.zaAutodealer.co.za
Top
Photo: Supplied
BRT to change face of Menlyn area Recommended Story