How to claim for pothole damage

Ward councillor Peter Sutton at the pothole. Photo: Kristian Meijer.

A pothole in Menlo Park has now been fixed thanks to a Mamelodi resident.

Johannes Mulaudzi said he passed the huge pothole in Justice Mohammed Street on his way to work.

“Leaving the road in that condition was a huge risk.”

Also read: Nasty pothole costing motorists

Mulaudzi said he reported the pothole on Tuesday after it had been there for a month.

On Wednesday, Tshwane metro superintendent Henk Rorke confirmed the pothole had been repaired.

The Automobile Association (AA) said potholes were the most common problem causing tyre impact fractures.

Those wishing to claim for pothole damages first had to find out whether they driving on a national or municipal road.

National roads were commonly identified as N1, N2 etc. and are the responsibility of the SA National Roads Agency (Sanral), said the AA.

Municipal roads were the responsibility of municipal districts or the department of public works.

Claims for pothole damage were directed to Sanral and from there to the specific contractor on that stretch of road.

Approach the specific municipal authority or department of public works for a claim on a municipal road.

The claimant should have the following information ready:

– ID document

– Driver’s licence

– Registration details of your vehicle

– Three written quotes for repairs

– Declaration signed by the claimant.

Proof of the pothole and damage to the vehicle would strengthen the claim, said the AA.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

Latest News


Recommended Story x
INFOGRAPHIC: Sharp petrol price increase from Wednesday