UPDATE: Petrol bomb claims refuted by Shoprite

The Shoprite building on fire. Photo: Robinson Nqola

Shoprite has dismissed speculation that a petrol bomb was used to set alight its building in the east of Pretoria last week.

ALSO READ: Petrol bombing at Tuks protest

Police are investigating the cause of the blaze that damaged the three-storey building at the Silverton shopping centre on Thursday.

“No attack of any kind was made on the store, but investigators are currently examining the scene to determine the cause,” Shoprite spokesperson Sarita van Wyk said on Tuesday.

ALSO READ: Four arrested with petrol bombs

Tshwane emergency services spokesperson Johan Pieterse said it took about 12 hours to put out the fire.

“It was a very long operation that came to an end around 01:00 on Friday.

Best Care ambulance services said three people suffered smoke inhalation and one person suffered burn wounds when a storeroom caught fire.

Van Wyk said the extent of the damage to the property was not yet known.

ALSO READ: petrol. bomb articles

The store would remain closed until further notice.

Emergency services said the firemen managed to contain the fire from spreading into the shops.

Police could not be reached for comment to ascertain whether a charge of arson had been laid.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram.

 

  AUTHOR
Robinson Nqola
Journalist

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Next Story x
Tributes for Govin Reddy