Men to march against abuse

Protest organiser Siyabulela Jentile. Photo: Supplied

Thousands of men are expected to take part in the #NotInMyName march against the abuse of women on Saturday.

Organiser Siyabulela Jentile said the aim of the march was to start a dialogue to prevent women being abused and murdered.

“I have a daughter, a mother, a wife, and sisters and I wouldn’t want them to go through what other women have gone through,” said Jentile.

He said he was overwhelmed by how many women had been killed in recent months, including 22-year-old Karabo Mokoena.

“Karabo Mokoena was a daughter to someone and not a hashtag.

“She had a life to live but someone had to take that away from her.”

Insert tweet:

Mokoena’s boyfriend Sandile Mantsoe has been accused of killing her.

He has been charged with premeditated murder and defeating the ends of justice.

Mantsoe claims he does not know who killed Mokoena.

Jentile said especially men were defending hashtags like #MenAreTrash rather than proving these hashtags wrong.

“I don’t want to comment much on that hashtag. It’s a fruitless exercise tweeting and Facebooking about such unfortunate incidences without doing anything about them.”

ALSO READ: Unite against killing of women in SA – Zuma

“It’s time men broke the silence and spoke out against women abuse.”

Jentile said the march was not only for men and encouraged people to come out in their numbers to support the event.

Jentile said he hoped the march encouraged men to act against abuse.

“We want to create a space where men can be allowed to show feelings and be sensitive to abuse.”

“Through the #NotInMyName march we will be reaching out to men all over the country to stand up against the killing and abuse of our female counterparts. We need to hold ourselves accountable.”

Jentile said a silent protest would be held from Church Square to the Union Buildings.

“We should all wear black to support the families of women who have been murdered by men who were meant to protect them,” he said.

“My team and I are working to make sure everything is okay come Saturday but residents are welcome to assist in anyway they can.”

The march will start at 10:00 and end at 12:00 in the city centre.

Some streets will be affected.

“We are going to walk from Mutual Street, to Madiba Street and we will end in Government Street.”

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

 

  AUTHOR
Thato Mahlangu
Journalist

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Next Story x
Mams business gets shot in arm