Central Pretoria before and after

An aerial photograph of Church Square taken probably around 1932 or 1933. Photo: Supplied by Friedel Hansen

A recent book written by Moot-author, Friedel Hansen, shows how Pretoria has changed over the ages.

Pretoria ’n fotoreis – a photo journey was released late last year.

Pretoria itself was founded in 1855 by Marthinus Pretorius, a leader of the Voortrekkers, who named it after his father Andries Pretorius.

The elder Pretorius had become a national hero of the Voortrekkers after his victory over the Zulus in the Battle of Blood River.

The elder Pretorius also negotiated the Sand River Convention in 1852, in which Britain acknowledged the independence of the Transvaal.

It became the capital of the South African Republic on 1 May 1860.

The founding of Pretoria as the capital of the South African Republic can be seen as marking the end of the Boers’ settlement movements of the Great Trek.

Pretoria Central plays host to most of the historic buildings in Pretoria.

The Tudor Chambers. This photo was taken around 1905. Photos: Supplied by Friedel Hansen and taken by Ron Sibiya

The Palace of Justice. The construction for this building was completed in 1904. Photos: Supplied by Friedel Hansen and taken by Ron Sibiya

The Ou Raadzaal. The construction for this building was completed around 1900. Photos: Supplied by Friedel Hansen and taken by Ron Sibiya

Church Square. The water tower was placed in the square around 1910. Photos: Supplied by Friedel Hansen and taken by Ron Sibiya

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

  AUTHOR
Kayla van Petegem
Journalist

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Next Story x
Have a marvelous Friday Rekord readers