Man in court for horrific double murder

Family members, Puleng Baloyi, Johanna Rapetswa and Ella Mosia still in shock following the double murder.

A 25-year-old man appeared in the Soshanguve magistrate’s court on Tuesday for the double murder of a woman and her son.

Richard Wisani Mabunda (25) appeared in court in connection with the double murder of Mariam Tiane (48) and her son Tshepo (30) in Block R Soshanguve on Saturday.

Family member Puleng Baloyi told Rekord on Tuesday that the incident has left the family devastated and ripped apart.

Mabunda is accused of stabbing the woman and her son several times at their home at block R in Soshanguve on Saturday night.

The case was remanded to next week Tuesday when the accused is expected to apply for bail.

ALSO READ: Alleged Sunnyside woman killer to appear in court for third time

Baloyi said the victim was at her home on the night of the murder at around 11:30pm.

“I received a call from a relative that something bad had happened. I rushed there and found community members and police gathered around the house. Two bodies were lying on the floor,” she said.

“My aunt’s son, Tshepo, was certified dead on the scene. My aunty was rushed to hospital where she was in a critical condition until she died on Monday,” she said.

“We later heard that a man who apparently saw the attacker jumping a fence running away, was stabbed next to the ear after he tried to chase the alleged killer. We received information that the man had been taken to hospital. Community members rushed to the hospital to ask him to shed more light,” she said.

“He told community members what he saw, and police came and questioned the suspect.

“The suspect came to our home the next day and said he had heard that he was reported to be the attacker of the pair and wanted to give his side of the story,” Baloyi said.

Police spokesperson Captain Stephen Maluleka said the suspect was taken to his home for questioning.

“After questioning, the 25-year-old man was arrested by the Rietgat SAPS,” he said.

ALSO READ: Murderer sentenced to 75 years in jail

Maluleka said according to the neighbours, they heard a woman screaming for help in the middle of the night and they came out to check as is the norm in townships.

As they approached the house, they saw a suspect scaling up a wall and they gave chase and tripped him to the ground while he (suspect) retaliated by stabbing one of the neighbours on the right ear and ran off.

“Subsequently, the neighbours went to the house where the bloody incident took place and they found a lifeless 31 year-old man riddled with stab wounds lying in a pool of blood next to a kitchen door, while his blind 48-year-old mother was reeling in shock and pain from the multiple stab wounds.”

“The suspect was later arrested in the early hours of Sunday after he came back to the scene under false prentences. The police then took him to his room to gather more information and they found blood stained jacket, T-shirt and knife hidden under the woods outside his room, as well as the hoody in the dustbin linking the suspect to the crime,” he said.

He is facing two counts of Murder and Grievous Bodily Harm (GBH).  

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

David Matsena
Noweto journalist

Latest News


Next Story x
Zuma pays homage to Steve Biko