A march to pressure President Jacob Zuma into quitting has been called off pending the outcome of the ANC NEC meeting to be held in Pretoria at 14:00.
The purpose of the meeting was to discuss Zuma’s future as president.
ALSO READ: UPDATE: #ZumaMustGo march ‘not illegal’
Last week, the convenors of the march postponed the protest scheduled for Wednesday, also because it coincided with an NEC meeting, which was postponed by party president Cyril Ramaphosa.
The organiser of Monday’s march, Hangwi Maumele said: “The march has been called off due to party engagements scheduled for today and also to deal with threats around the march.”
He was briefing reporters at the Burgerspark hotel, hours after the march was scheduled to begin.
Maumele said if Zuma was not removed by Monday night, a national campaign to kick him out would proceed.”
There was a low turnout at Burgerspark on Monday morning where marchers were due to gather. The convenors had earlier been talking about at least 100 buses to bring marchers into the city centre.
However, there was just a handful of people. Around 13:00, police started dispersing at the Union buildings where the marchers were set to move to.
ALSO READ: #ZumaMustGoNow march to the Union Buildings
Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: