Car hijackings, household and business robberies increased in the east of Pretoria last year, the police have revealed.
The annual crime statistics published by Police Minister Bheki Cele in Cape Town on Tuesday painted a shocking picture for residents in the east with only a few spots of good news.
– Silverton recorded the highest number of car hijackings with 90 cases in the 2017/18 financial year compared to 74 the previous year.
– Garsfontein reported 30 car hijacking cases compared to 13, representing an increase of 130.8 percent.
– Brooklyn reported 29 car hijackings compared to 24 the previous year.
– Bronkhorstspruit showed an increase of 22.9 percent in car hijackings from 35 in 2016 to 43 last year.
The bad news continued into robberies for east residents.
– Brooklyn led the way with a 21.1 percent increase from 76 to 92 cases.
– Garsfontein reported 78 cases, 10 more cases than in the previous year.
– Silverton came in third with 58 robberies at residential premises, one more than in the previous year.
– Robberies at non-residential premises increased to 62 cases in Silverton, five more than in the previous year, 33 in Brooklyn, two more than in the previous year.
A glimmer of good news came from Bronkhorstspruit, Welbekend and Boschkop.
The statistics showed that house robberies in Bronkhorstspruit remained unchanged at 43 cases while robberies at non-residential premises declined from 41 to 39.
Boschkop and Welbekend showed a decrease in all the three categories.
ALSO READ: Latest crime statistics for SA 2018
Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: