A 20-year-old man accused of raping a seven-year-old girl at a Dros restaurant in Silverton is expected to appear in the Pretoria magistrate’s court on Thursday.
Nicolas Ninow was accused of “snatching” the girl into the men’s toilet and forcing himself on her in September.
ALSO READ: Dros pickets to disrupt traffic
Gauteng’ social development MEC Nandi Mayathula-Khoza, together with the human rights commissioner, were expected to attend the proceedings in solidarity with the family.
During Ninow’s previous court appearance on 2 October various organisations and members of the public picketed outside the court. He did not apply for bail.
Ninow also faces charges of possession of drugs and intimidation.
Defence lawyer Riaan du Plessis told the court previously that his client was beaten by patrons at the restaurant.
ALSO READ: UPDATE: R100 000 raised for #DrosRape victim
He was later also assaulted by the police, Du Plessis said.
Ninow suffered injuries to his left ear, had a bloodshot eye and had to get stitches.
Du Plessis contended that the matter was causing racial tension and taking pictures of the accused could lead to people taking matters into their own hands.
*Though the law prohibits identifying someone accused of a sexual offence before this individual has pleaded to the charge, Caxton made an editorial decision to name Ninow following the circumstances around his previous appearance on 2 October.
Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: